Tile design 101

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tile design 101

Post by Haneko on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:30 am

Okay in this thread you will be learning how to make tiles for bgs and objects.

Programs you will need(which are free and open sourced)
Paint(or any paint type program to make pictures and graphics, all computers have one)
PTC utilities(this is important for making tiles for the game So I can test it out on my 3ds.)

Nothing less nothing more.

Now for making tiles im using 8x8 bit tiles and 16x16 bit tiles. this means 8 pixel square tiles and 16 pixel square tiles. This is because I use PTC on my 3ds(it's only a ds title I'm currently using.) Im also using ptc for coding and scripting the game.

Now here are the tools I want you to make for your attempts at tile design and sprites(but spriting will be slightly different and with its own thread.). Tiles are sprites for background in a game, they make the wall, ceiling, floor and objects. what ever is going to be part of the background is called BG for short. and sprites are objects and characters for the foreground.

The first tool is a measuring cropper, this is like a ruler for cropping large tilesets into smaller tiles  8x8 is usually for color palettes and small buttons or bullets(like in writing bullet, not projectiles). while 16x16 pallets are for bg filling, you can make some 8x8 for cropping your screen. rule of thumb is to make your cropper 3 squares wide with single pixel disjointment in a vertical way. IiiiiIiiiiIiiiiI <--example just ignore the dots and one rotated vertically by 90 degrees, these will be your chopping croppers place the most inward pixels just a pixel away from you tileset, then just use your custom rectangular cropping tool to make 16x16 squares or 8x8 squares.

Those are small tiles but this is all I need to make that work. If you have any questions please ask.
Haneko
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tile design 101

Post by Yuri on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:43 am

Hate to sound selfish, but when are we getting the tiles? Or have you already got them or what?
Yuri
Admin

View user profile http://protosphereonline.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Haneko on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm working on the land tiles right now, it takes times cause I have to make it look right for what we need to use, this thread is just to help others learn how to make their own tiles.

I'm working on the island tiles right now...I have to make an awfull lot of them.
Haneko
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top